Just like the alginate mould, this is not something I’ve done before. I decided to try this as I thought a clear resin of some deformed figures would look interesting when juxtaposed with the other figures I could make out of plaster. Also, it would help further my knowledge in different forms of casting agents. To create a resin cast I closely followed the instructions given in the box, ensuring I also followed all health and safety precautions.
- Mix the the resin and the hardener in the ratio determined on the box. When mixing the concoction be sure to do it in an open area with a mask on to avoid breathing in any of the mixture.
- Ensure the mould or surface intended for resin is clear, and coated in the oil included in this set.
- Pour the mixture into the mould, gently tapping the mould to allow bubbles to rise to the surface.
- Allow to set until clear. This may take up to 24 hours depending on size of mould.
This process didn’t go as planned, as although I left it in the mould for over 36 hours, it didn’t set in the way it was supposed to. According to the instructions it was meant to produce a clear piece of resin shaped into how the mould produced it. Mine didn’t set properly and came out sticky, and still rather white. I looked into guides online on how this may have happened, and even looked into if I could fix it. Some mentioned cleaning it might help, so I washed it gently using just warm water, which did remove the sticky residue but didn’t improve the overall look of the piece.
I was impressed, however, by the detail captured on some parts of the mould, with some parts having the creases as seen in the previous casts. I feel like if it had come out clear, if I hadn’t somehow messed it up, it could have looked really impressive, and I think I could have taken this idea of clear figures further. I might consider coming back to this later to try again, as I do think this type of look has potential.