Plaster Casting

There are two methods of plaster casting that I’m planning on trying. The first is using the alginate mould I made recently to create a very lifelike cast. To make the cast all I had to do was mix a solution of plaster of paris and water, being sure to remove all lumps if any emerged, and then pour it into the mould, ensuring the mould is clean before use. After the mixture was poured in, much like when I made the mould, it was recommended that I tap the tub it was contained in gently, to remove any bubbles. Due to how flexible my alginate mould turned out I read in the instructions that I shouldn’t need to coat it with anything to help ease it out, it should have been able to be simply pulled out, being sure to keep certain parts straight as it came out. This didn’t go to plan.

As I eased the middle finger out of the mould it snapped off. Due to this only being an experiment, and not something I planned to present as the mould didn’t turn out too well either, I wasn’t too worried. I just saw it as I now knew what to do if and when I do cast anything again. It’s also incredibly thin so that probably contributed to the break.

DSCN2349.JPG

Detailing of the thickness of the plaster cast.

I was very impressed by how detailed with cast look, it had captured every wrinkle, and the detailing of my fingernails, that the mould had captured.

DSCN2348.JPG

Detailing of the wrinkles captured in the cast.

The cast did have some blemishes but overall I think for a first try it turned out surprisingly well.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s